bitFlyer is a leading, regulated cryptocurrency exchange with offices in Asia, Europe and the US. We are proud that:
- we are one of the first cryptocurrency exchanges with licenses to operate across Europe, the US and Japan combined,
- we are a financial institution licensed by the Luxembourg Ministry of Finance and regulated by the CSSF in Luxembourg, and
- we are the first Luxembourg based company that received the Virtual Asset Service Provider registration with the CSSF
We are a fast-growing, dynamic and international team with a passion for virtual currency and blockchain technology.
We are growing and need a talented professional to lead the Compliance team in Luxembourg. As Head of Compliance you will ensure that bitFlyer operates within existing rules and upcoming regulations. Needless to say, you will be at the cutting edge of law, technology and financial regulation.
This role will work closely with internal partners (operations, legal, finance, risk, internal audit, etc.) as well external partners (banks, regulators, law enforcement etc.) to ensure that our business grows in a compliant manner. You will lead a team to manage an engaging and varied workload, for example, handling rules queries, preparing and updating policies, procedures and handbooks, AML/KYC workflows, approving technology releases, dealing with regulators, Banks and other counterparties.
- Manage the compliance team and be in charge of the 2nd line of defense and will work closely with Authorised Managers and Heads of Functions not only in Luxembourg, but also in the US and Japan.
- To develop a strategy for compliance function and implement it allowing the business to scale-up
- Ensure that the business has effective systems, procedures and controls for AML and KYC compliance at EU level.
- Monitor the performance of the AML, KYC, and Compliance Program and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness & providing reports on a regular basis.
- To build an efficient and effective compliance machine that focuses on customer needs meeting, at the same time, regulatory requirements and the firm's risk appetite
- Keep our internal documentation up-to-date and make recommendations for enhancements of our internal processes and tools.
- Monitor changes in compliance within Luxembourg and the wider European Union jurisdiction.
- Reporting to the Authorized Managers and Boards of Directors
- Ensure compliance with regulations and best practices
- Work closely with the global compliance team in Japan and the US, in particular to ensure consistency of approach across regions.
- Participate in internal and global projects, to ensure good coordination of processes and work across whole bitFlyer group
- At least 5 years of experience in a compliance function in a regulated financial institution / fintech industry, or legal/audit firms in the fields of compliance
- Ability to design, implement and maintain compliance procedures
- Excellent communication skills, strong decision making and problem-solving ability
- Familiarity with EU AML, payments, consumer protection and corporate governance regulations.
- Good understanding of multicultural working environments
- Past exposure, experience, or interest in Crypto or Blockchain desirable
- Degree, diploma and/or certificates in compliance, risk and/or law
- Specialized knowledge / strong interest in blockchain and the cryptocurrency industry.
- English proficiency required
- French proficiency desirable
- Other European languages and/or Japanese considered as an advantage