bitFlyer is one of the leading virtual currency exchanges and blockchain tech companies in the world. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, we handle over 80% of the region’s cryptocurrency trading volume and are in a unique and privileged position to continue our expansion into the global financial markets. Fully licensed to operate in Europe as well, we treat compliance and security as paramount.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced technical Project Manager to coordinate the development of our global digital currencies exchanges. He/she will fill the critical role of being the link between bitFlyer’s business operations in Europe and engineering teams dedicated to EU business that are currently based in Japan to ensure our EU platform development meets the highest standards to our users and to regulators. This is a high-visibility role interfacing with stakeholders across EU, JP and occasionally US, so strong communications skills are essential as we solve complex business problems and overcome technical challenges under tight constraints. This is a full time role based in Tokyo, Japan with frequent travel to Europe since the role will support EU entity business needs.
Candidate will report directly to COO of bitFlyer in Europe and CTO of bitFlyer in Japan.
Visa and relocation expenses will be covered for the right candidate. Candidates must be internationally mobile and be willing to relocate back to Europe if the need arises.
The successful candidate will partner just as closely with business managers as with engineering team. This candidate will have the drive and execution to build the best products while reflecting our core values of PEN (Passion, Execution and Numbers).
- Driving bitFlyer projects delivery to agreed success criteria (including quality, cost and delivery time)
- Deep and effective analysis of our business needs, acting as a confident consultant for business in defining the goals for projects
- Facilitate the collaboration between all bitFlyer business units and engineering teams equally – Project Manager will work with both sides
- Capturing requirements and building cross-divisional consensus based on business demands and management specifications
- Identify and define project scope and objectives, final responsibility for short, medium, and long-term road mapping, project planning and adjustment of plans if needed
- Planning and composing development teams in order to meet the goals, coordinating work and prioritization
- Arrange and schedule service releases with business side
- Constant project status tracking, identifying obstacles and proactive risk management
- Effective and comprehensive reporting, communicating project objectives and statuses to ensure group buy-in and effective execution
- Coordinating and supervising testing and implementation
- Accountability for identifying and gathering necessary documentation
- Ensuring final product safety and compliance with all applicable regulations
- Facilitating collaboration between entities in EU and Japan taking into consideration cultural differences and ways of working
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years Project Management experience
- Experience with business side negotiations as an engineer, or business side development
- Fluency in business English (Spoken and Written)
- Familiarity with the Atlassian suite, including Jira and Confluence
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A deep understanding of PM knowledge systems including PMBOK, Agile, Scrum, SixSigma (PMP a plus)
- Familiarity with IT services (ITIL)
- Thorough understanding of the project management process throughout the lifecycle, and the ability to identify issues and take corrective action
- Knowledge of the Japanese language and culture a plus
- Familiarity with the financial services and regulatory industries a big plus
Allowances & Benefits:
- Visa sponsorship for international candidates
- Relocation allowance to Japan for international candidates
- Transportation expenses paid in full
- Social insurances provided (health insurance, welfare annuity insurance, employment insurance, industrial accident compensation insurance)
- Housing and Relocation allowance for those willing to live in closer proximity to the office
- Book purchasing plan
- Free drinks, snacks, and noodles
- Saturday, Sunday, public holidays
- Paid leave
- Congratulatory and condolence leave, maternity leave, childcare leave, birthday holiday etc.