bitFlyer is the largest Bitcoin and blockchain company in Japan. We operate a virtual currency exchange and marketplace. We provide our customers with convenient and exciting ways to buy, sell and spend bitcoins.
Our vision is to build a truly global Bitcoin and blockchain company to reflect the international nature of the virtual currency. Our mission is to make the world simpler through blockchain.
bitFlyer was established in January 2014 in Tokyo. We have since established regional headquarters for the US in San Francisco and for the EU in Luxembourg. We are a fast-growing, dynamic and international team with a passion for virtual currency and blockchain technology.
We have raised over 4.1 billion yen (~$36 million) in venture capital funding. Our platform has facilitated over $250 billion in bitcoin trades in 2017.
We are backed by world-class investors including SMBC Venture Capital, Mizuho Capital, Mitsubishi UFJ Capital, Dentsu Digital Holdings and SBI Investment.
We are looking for a Compliance Manager with professional experience in the financial industry who can grow together with our European business. You will lead our efforts to make cryptocurrencies safer, more accessible and understandable for everyone.
Your work will ensure that our current and future operations are fully compliant with all applicable regulations. You will be defining and applying the best-in-class know-your-customer (KYC), anti-money laundering (AML), and regulatory change control frameworks and processes.
- Ensure that the business has effective systems, procedures and controls for AML and KYC compliance at EU level.
- Assist with the fraud and risk management process, ensuring that the regulatory risks are appropriately identified and assessed.
- Monitor the performance of the AML, KYC, and Compliance Programme and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness & providing reports on a regular basis.
- Act as point of contact with the regulatory entities in Luxembourg.
- Conduct consumer protection assessment and learn how we can meet emerging standards while driving growth.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures that support internal training regarding compliance efforts throughout the organization.
- Keep our internal documentation up-to-date and make recommendations for enhancements of our internal processes and tools.
- Monitor changes in compliance within Luxembourg and the wider European Union jurisdiction.
- Report compliance risks and potential violations to the Chief Compliance Officer of our European business.
Required Skills and Experience:
- At least 3-5 years of experience gained with regulated financial institutions, e-commerce or in the Fintech industry, or legal/audit firms in the fields of compliance, risk management, internal controls or similar.
- Ability to design, implement and maintain compliance procedures from scratch.
- Excellent communication skills, strong decision making and problem-solving ability.
- Familiarity with European Union AML, payments, consumer protection and corporate governance regulations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Specialized knowledge in blockchain and the cryptocurrency industry.
- Fluent in English (oral/written).
- Other European languages / Japanese are a plus.
Job type: Full-time